Q: I’m buying a house.  What type of survey can I have to make sure nothing’s wrong with it?
A: We have a range of standard survey types or we can tailor a survey to suit your needs.  Please see our Home Inspection Types Information Sheet.

Houses don’t fall down.  Why do I need a survey?
A: Well, I agree: houses rarely fall down, but there is normally something about a building that needs repair or improvement.  See our Should I have a survey

I can’t sell my house.  What should I do?
A: Read our page Selling a home and our series of six articles: Top tips to sell (and buy) your home. 

Do I need a Party Wall Surveyor?
A: There are several circumstances when the Party Wall etc Act 1996 applies.  If you think it might apply, don’t start until you’ve read our An Introduction to the Party Wall etc Act 1996

I’m about to take on a commercial lease.  What do I need to know?
A: Click on Leasing Commercial Property on the left hand side for more information.

What does it mean if a surveyor is ‘Chartered’?
A: In order for a surveyor to use the designation ‘Chartered’ they must have:

  • satisfied the academic requirements (these days a degree),
  • have had suitable recorded and monitored work experience (a minimum of two years, but for a Chartered Building Surveyor an average of over 4 years),
  • have passed the Assessment of Professional Competence (APC) which involves a report (Critical Analysis), a presentation and an interview.

Once qualified, the surveyor must satisfy minimum insurance, Life Long Learning and ethical standards.

See Why use a Chartered Building Surveyor, by RICS for more details.

What are your fees?
A: Our fees might be on a fixed, hourly, or percentage basis.  Whichever, we will clearly agree our fees with you.  All initial advice and discussions are free.  An indication of fees is given in some of the main sections.

For more information and free advice contact us on 01202 237377 or email info@sutherlandsurveyors.co.uk.